Chef Receives Compensation for Restaurant Burn Injury

Posted
Comments None

A chef has received compensation from his employers for a burn injury he sustained due to a malfunctioning powerhose.

In March 2013, Shijun Liu-who usually worked as a chef at the Howards Way Restaurant in Rathgar-was working at the restaurant´s sister establishment in Churchtown, Dublin. During his time there, he went to the assistance of a cleaner who was trying to untangle the domestic powerhose used to clean the kitchen.

As Shijun and the cleaner attempted to untangle the kinks in the hose, the hose suddenly sprayed scalding water at Shijun. The hot water severely burned his ankle. Shijunnwas taken to the VHI Clinic in Dundrum, where he was treated for burn injuries.

Due to the severity of his injuries, Shijun was unable to role as chef for two weeks. He sought legal counsel and made a claim for a restaurant kitchen injury against his employer–Declan Howard trading as Howards Way Restaurant – but consent was denied for the Injuries Board to conduct an assessment of Shijun´s claim.

With an authorisation from the Injuries Board to pursue his claim for a restaurant kitchen injury, Shijun sought further legal advice. Shijun was advised to take his case to the Circuit Civil Court, where it was heard this month by Mr Justice Raymond Groarke.

At the hearing, Judge Groarke was told that the domestic powerhose used to clean the restaurant kitchen was unfit for purpose because the heat of the water being used would have damaged it by softening it. The judge found in favour of Shijun and awarded him €15,000 in settlement of his claim for a restaurant kitchen injury – commenting that he had found Shijun´s version of events very compelling.

Author
Categories ,

Comments

Commenting is closed for this article.

← Older Newer →